Interesting Questions and Comments

So we have fully been preparing for interesting questions and comments about our family when we return from Ethiopia, but I didn't expect them to start before the boys were even here! Here are some things we've been met with so far when strangers find out we are adopting two little boys from Ethiopia.

Comment: "Oh, isn't there AIDS there?"
(my first thought: Wow, that's an interesting first comment!)
My Answer: Actually there's AIDS throughout the world, so yes there's AIDS there. And a person who is HIV positive and is actually able to live a wonderful life! (Thanks Yahoo Group!)

Comment: "There's tons of kids here to adopt, why are you going half way around the world?" (and usually not said in a pleasant tone.)
(my first thought: Well, let me just tell you some of the pain we experienced when we tried that!)
My Answer: We tried that before and it wasn't successful.

Comment: "So you can't have children?"
(my first thought: Well that's none of your business!)
My Answer: Actually, this is God's plan for me.

Comment: "So it's kind of like buying a kid, isn't it?"
(my first thought: Ah, no!)
My Answer: No, you're not buying a child. You are paying the legal, international, and program fees.


But with these few comments from strangers have been HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of comments - from people who have never met us before - of genuine excitement, joy, congratulations, and encouragement.

And it's good practice before the boys are here at praying and answering in a calm manner and voice when these crazy questions and comments come!

No comments: