04/04/11 - Ryan's First Day of Preschool

Ryan recently qualified for our school district's pre-kindergarten program. If you know Ryan, you know he drops a lot of his beginning consonant sounds and is missing some sounds all together which makes him difficult at times to understand. We also discovered around Christmas time, he wasn't understanding as much of the English language as we had thought. So we signed him up for testing in our school district in March. He scored low (they actually used the word deficit which was a bit challenging for this Mommy heart!) in speech (we weren't surprised), problem solving (not too big of a surprise if you have trouble understanding the language), and motor, particularly balance issues (this was a surprise). So he was recommended for an immediate educational placement. And he started the week after Spring Break, Monday through Thursday, 2 and 1/2 hours each afternoon. Here we are waiting for the school bus: Check out that big scab on his chin - he jumped into a tree (maybe there is a bit more of a balance issue!):
Aren't they so cute! (John has been such a TREMENDOUS sport about Ryan getting to ride the school bus before him - yeah John!!):
Getting on the bus:
Heading toward school:
I am so thankful for our school district and Ryan being able to gain the skills he needs to thrive! I am so thankful that the process to get him in was relatively easy - some more paperwork and a physical. I am so thankful that there is no cost! But let me share that my first reaction to hearing the recommendation for immediate placement was, "Oh, no, I'm not supposed to have to give him up yet!" My heart and plans had Ryan at home with me until next fall and it took about a week to get over that! But God is so good - He loving came along side me. He is showing me that even though my plans weren't necessarily bad, His were better and it's okay when plans change. He will never leave me nor forsake me. And I had so many friends praying for my heart as I sent Ryan off to school on that first day. He was so excited, I had to ask him to turn around on the bus to get a picture! And he is SO PROUD of his school and his backpack (thank you Target for having back packs in the middle of the year!) and his "preschool guys." He loves preschool and is excited to hear he gets to go again each day.


My cup continues to run over.

No comments: